返回列表 回復 發帖

Finally, Owen revels in the feel-good factor at Newcastle

NEWCASTLE: Michael Owen can pin-point the moment he finally won over Newcastle’s demanding fans to the exact second and now the England striker believes he is ready to become a Toon Army idol.
Owen endured a miserable first two and a half years at Newcastle following his £17mil move from Real Madrid in 2005, before showing signs that he is set to come good after all towards the end of last season.
Back at his best: Newcastle's Michael Owen only found his form at the tail-end of last season and now he hopes to keep on playing at the top for the new season.
Ravaged by a series of injuries, Owen had struggled to recapture the form that made him a superstar at Liverpool and quickly became a target for frustrated Newcastle fans.
Accusations that Owen put playing for England ahead his club commitments cut him to the core, but he could do nothing to erase the label until he was fit enough to make a significant contribution on the pitch.
“Since I have been here, it has been stop-start with a lot of injuries, and it is probably the first time in my career it has been like that,” Owen said.
“I had a few niggly problems early on with hamstrings, but I have had big, major things since I have been here - it is six operations, I think, I have had and not one prior.”
The moment that changed everything came on April 20 at St James Park.
It wasn’t a spectacular goal but it gave Newcastle fans belief that Owen was capable of following in the footsteps of legendary Toon heroes like Alan Shearer, Malcolm MacDonald and Jackie Milburn.
Just three minutes and 17 seconds into the local derby against arch rivals Sunderland, Owen met Geremi’s free-kick with a powerful header that flashed into the net. The stadium exploded with joy and Owen, finally playing with confidence, added a second before half-time to seal a 2-0 win.
Suddenly he was transformed. For the first time in his career, Owen was deployed as a deep-lying attacker rather than an out and out striker and he revelled in the extra space away from the suffocating attentions of opposition centre-backs.
Kevin Keegan’s tactical switch paid dividends as Owen scored seven goals in the final nine games of the season to finish as Newcastle’s top scorer and, more importantly, lift the team away from the relegation zone.
At last, Owen feels at home on Tyneside. He has been handed the captain’s armband on a permanent basis and is negotiating an extension to his current contract, which expires at the end of the season.
Despite a bout of mumps in July and a slight calf strain that forced him to miss Newcastle’s pre-season tour to Spain, he is raring to go ahead of the Premier League opener at Manchester United on Aug 17.
“The end of the season was great. When I get in a rhythm and start playing regularly I feel great,” he said.
“I started scoring a few goals and that will continue as long as I get on the pitch and I’m fine.
“We had a good time of it and there was a feel-good factor about the club and we were buzzing as a group.
“Hopefully, we can start the new season in the same way as we finished the last one.”
The only dark cloud on the horizon is Owen’s struggle to hold onto his England place.
With Fabio Capello still unsure if Owen is the right man to lead England’s attack, the former Liverpool star needs to start the season with an avalanche of goals to make his case.
For once, Owen could feel more loved by his club than his countr
返回列表