返回列表 回復 發帖

Arsenal v Hull: Preview

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists the art of tough tackling has aplace in the beautiful game - but maintains "excessive force'' mustalways be punished by a red card.The Barclays Premier League leaders host Hull looking to stay one step ahead of their title rivals.
Lastweekend, Wenger was incensed following a tackle from Bolton's KevinDavies on Gael Clichy during Arsenal's win at the Reebok Stadium, whichleft the full-back with a badly-bruised shin but resulted in only ayellow card for the perpetrator.
Hull manager Phil Brownmaintains his men will look to deploy similar strong-muscle tacticstomorrow, as they look to throw the free-passing Gunners off theirhigh-tempo game.
Wenger has no qualms with the "physical'' side of the game, so long as players do not go over the top.
"Ilove commitment, but it is down to intention of the player and to atechnical ability,'' said the Arsenal manager, who will have Clichyavailable tomorrow.
"For me a good tackle is as beautiful towatch as a good volley - but you have to be sure about the quality ofthe tackling, and it must be one-footed. I never understand why youneed two legs to tackle at a good ball.
"Secondly, you must notput extra aggression in. You need adapted force in every tackle.Excessive force is punished by the law - and you can read the rules,that is a red card.''
Brown may be preaching a no-nonsenseapproach in an attempt to win the ball back - which could "cause painto the opposition'' - but Wenger maintains managers have aresponsibility to stress fair play to their squad.
"Maybe in his mind it is tough, but correct - and if it is correct I do not have a problem with it,'' said the Arsenal boss.
"Ifthe desire is to hurt your opponent, it is not acceptable because thatis not the game. The beauty of sport is to win in respect of the rules.
"If as manager we start to say 'we don't have to respect the rules', then that can't be accepted. You have to respect the rules
"Itis like that in every sport, when you play tennis and the ball goesout, you cannot say 'because it is me, it is still good'.''
Hull will be without former Tottenham defender Anthony Gardner due to the thigh injury which kept him out of the Everton game.
Newsigning Stelios Giannakopoulos, who joined the club until the end ofthe season this week, also lacks match fitness and is not yet incontention.
George Boateng is likely to return to stiffen themidfield and Brown believes the side he names will give a good accountof themselves.
Brown is determined to take the battle to theGunners as the Tigers face their toughest test yet since promotion tothe Barclays Premier League.
Hull have taken eight points fromfive games in an impressive start to the season but Brown acceptsArsenal at the Emirates Stadium will be a whole new proposition.
Headmits he was awe-struck by some of the play in Arsenal's 3-1 win overBolton last week but he is convinced Hull can compete if they disruptthe Londoners' game.
"I saw what I needed to see at Bolton lastweek and I closed my eyes. For 20-25 minutes they played some of themost sublime football I have ever seen in my life,'' Brown said.
"It is one of those where you hope you are going to catch them on an off day.
"Wehave got to be careful in our approach. I want them to be on the frontfoot because Bolton went on the front foot in the second half and thegame changed, they had one or two opportunities.
"I think we havegot a bunch of physical players and our physicality manifests itself inheading, tackling and interceptions. They might already be our bestweapons this season.''
返回列表