Board logo

標題: Redknapp moves to calm off-field financial fears [打印本頁]

作者: chuu    時間: 2008-9-30 01:51 PM     標題: Redknapp moves to calm off-field financial fears

Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp has denied reports that he will beforced to sell players in January as a result of mounting financialproblems at Fratton Park.

Harry Redknapp: Calming fears.

Reportson Sunday suggested that Pompey owner Alexandre Gaydamak was preparedto sell the club after accruing large debts by paying huge wages toplayers signed by Redknapp at a cost of more than £60 million intransfer fees over the last two years.
A statement from the club aimed at calming fears proved counterproductive and left Redknapp to clarify the situation.
"Theclub's owner has clearly stated that the club is not for sale butshould the right offer be forthcoming, serious consideration would begiven to the proposal," read the confusing club statement.
ButRedknapp said: "Show me any club that is not up for sale if they areoffered fantastic money. I bet every club has a price on it. Nobody ismaking millions.
"But we have fantastic assets out on the pitch.And I spoke to the owner and he said we don't have to sell anybody oranything, unless we want to bring in somebody better.
"I wouldn'thave a clue how much players here earn or what contracts they've got.It's not my job to know. All that is done by (chief executive) PeterStorrie and the owner.
"I could have sold [Lassana] Diarra for£15million on transfer deadline day and didn't do it. I'm not sayingwho made that bid because he might want to go there if he found out.He's worth more than that.
"But I also sold Benjani, who I love,last season because we wanted to get Defoe, who is younger. And I'mdelighted Spurs sold him to me. We needed him and it was nice to seehim score again. He's been very sharp."
Jermain Defoe scored a 34th-minute penalty and Peter Crouch was also on target as Pompey claimed a 2-0 victory over hapless Tottenham in the Premier League on Sunday.
Meanwhile,Guimaraes, Portsmouth's UEFA Cup opponents this week, have been fined£16,000 by UEFA for improper conduct after they were knocked out of theChampions League by Basle in the third qualifying round last month.
ThePortuguese club were furious when Dutch referee Peter Vink disallowed agoal for offside in the dying stages of the second leg to deny them a2-2 draw and a place in the group stage of the competition on awaygoals.
Guimaraes, who trail Harry Redknapp's side 2-0 heading into Thursday's second leg, have three days to appeal.

歡迎光臨 公仔箱論壇 (http://www3.tvboxnow.com/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0