返回列表 回復 發帖

Gerrard takes vote

Steven Gerrard has taken the vote in an online poll to find the fans choice for the 'Nationwide England Player of the Year'.

Missing just the friendly with Germany at Wembley during the year, Gerrard was involved in every competitive game and took the captain's armband five times.

Scoring twice, with both goals coming away to Andorra, Gerrard took his caps haul to 63 and when the poll opened he was the supporters choice.

"It's a fantastic honour, coming from the fans makes it very special to me - I'm really proud," Gerrard revealed.

"The fans pay their money and come and watch us play around the world, so to get their support is great.

"There were a number of players who did really well last year, Gareth Barry came back into the team and had some great games, Micah Richards was really consistent for someone so young particularly playing in defence.

"I know the fans appreciate how well those guys have done so to come out on top is a tremendous feeling."

Gerrard topped the poll on TheFA.com that saw fans voting in their thousands to choose from the 42 eligible candidates.

The youthful City defender Richards was the closest rival as Gerrard took 22% of the votes when the voting ended on 31 January.

The Liverpool skipper began the year as captain of his country with Spain the opponents at Old Trafford and played in eleven games for the Three Lions. Gerrard would captain the side on five occasions during the year, playing in all but one of the matches in 2007 - five of them at the newly opened Wembley stadium.

"Being back at Wembley was fantastic, it's a terrific stadium and a great place to play football.

"I was lucky enough to have made my debut for England at Wembley, so it had been a long wait to play their again.

"The old ground had a lot of history and growing up it was always a place you wanted to play, now we have a modern stadium that a new generation can grow up with and in time there will be a whole new history."

The FA.com

Congratulations to our Captain Fabulous - Steven Gerrard MBE!!!!!!!!
返回列表