返回列表 回復 發帖

RAFA ON LIEGE, EL ZHAR AND IMPROVEMENT

[tr][td=1,1,357]Rafael Benitez took five minutes out of his pre-match preparations for the Champions League qaulfifer at home to Liege to discuss the game with journalists in a radio press conference. Here's what he had to say. [/td][/tr][tr][td=2,1,487]
Journalist: Rafa, you've taken maximum points in the Barclays Premier League without hitting top form. How much confidence has that given you ahead of the match with Standard Liege?

I think it's always important to win but the main concern for me now, is to ensure we improve and make sure we play better. If we do that then I'm sure it will be easier to score goals.

Journalist: Looking back at the first-leg, do you feel it was more of case of how well they played, or how badly Liverpool performed?

I think that they were good but we were also really poor. If we play at our level then it will be more difficult for them. It is clear that Anfield can be massive for us, so it is really, really important for us.

Journalist: You've played in a number of these Champions League qualifiers over the years. Are Liege the most difficult opponent you have faced?

I think so. Standard Liege were very good in the first game and I know it will be more difficult than in the past, but once again it is the same situation. We are at Anfield and we are confident. We have to win and I think we will win.

Journalist: Are the performances in the three games so far a long way away from the standard that you would expect?

Yes, clearly. We were scoring a lot of goals at the end of the pre-season and the team was improving. I was really pleased and felt we were in a good moment. But we haven't played well in the last three games and we know we have to improve, that is clear.

Journalist: Looking at the strike partnership between Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres, there were signs on Saturday that they were beginning to link well...

Yes, I think they were much better. The team wasn't good enough around them but I think both players were linking well and the understanding will get better.

Journalist: As ever, do you feel the crowd will be important against Liege?

Yes, I think our supporters know how important this game is and if the team has problems they get behind them. So, I am sure they will support the team and that will be key if we want to win and win more games in the future.

Journalist: It's been a trait with the team since you arrived, that when Liverpool need to win, they win. How do you instil that mentality in the players?

I think the key is to have confidence in your ability and the quality of your players. We know we have enough to win these type of games so we will try to do it properly.

Journalist: How big a blow would it in terms of affecting transfer targets and what you are trying to build at the club, if you get knocked out against Liege?

In terms of money for the club we know it is really important but with the end of the transfer window so close then I don't think it would make a massive difference. The key for me will be to do the right things in the game and make sure we are not talking about 'if' we have enough money or not.

Journalist: Let's talk a little bit about Nabil El Zhar. He's a player you've used in the last three games that perhaps some fans won't know too much about...

Maybe people don't know too much about him because he is in the reserve team. He is a player with quality, he has ability with skill and pace. He has game intelligence and is an international for Morocco. He can be a good player for us. He needs experience and will need time but he is the kind of player that can change games.

Journalist: Ryan Babel was doing that for you last season and it seems like El Zhar could do it this time around. He came on against 'Boro' on Saturday and it was his pacy run that led to the first goal...

Yes, clearly the position and movement of Nabil was good for the team. We needed to play wide and keep the ball and he was running and dribbling, so I think he gave us everything that we needed at that moment.

Journalist: Do you think it's possible he could make it into the starting XI from the off?

Normally he will be with the first-team and we will see. If he continues to play well then we will see. I like the competition for places because it is good for the team.

Journalist: Have you identified a particular area in the team in which you feel you are failing?

In the last few games a lot (laughs). We've analysed the games and we know the reasons why, so I think we now have a clear idea and will try to get back to the standard achieved against Rangers and Valerenga when we played well and scored four goals in each game.

Journalist: Do you think it is a little bit down to a change in tactics due to new players coming in?

Yes, we had to change a little bit to adjust to the new players. We will need time, we know this. But we've also had players away. It will be different now because we will have all the players available next weekend. It will be different.

Journalist: In terms of the midfield, how significant will it be to have Mascherano and Lucas back?

It will be important for us. As I said, at the weekend we will have all the squad back. I will have more selection problems but I will be really pleased.

Journalist: We've had glimpses of why you signed Andrea Dossena over the past few games. He can provide some very clever crosses can't he?

Yes, I think he will need time too. He is a player who is good going forward and the idea was to bring in a full-back who attacks well. He has quality and will need to settle down and get used to the Premier League but I think he can improve.

Journalist: Do you think he needs to work on the defensive side of his game, to ensure he doesn't leave spaces at the back?

Yes. He played in a line of five last year and needs to now come back and work in a line of four. He knows he needs to improve but I think he has also played in a line of four with Italy so in a few games he will be better.

Journalist: How much do you want to enjoy another good run in the Champions League?

For me, the main thing is to try and win every game and have this mentality. After that, if you start to win games in a row then you can think about all the competitions, the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup, the Carling Cup... I think that you are always under pressure from the start of the season. It's important to admit we have to improve we need to play well and if we do that and score goals and win games in a row, then we can talk about titles and trophies. But for me, at this moment the main thing is to improve our game.

Journalist: As you look to improve performances how do you approach it in training. Do you come down hard on the players or adopt a softer tact?

You don't need to push these players too hard. The other day they showed their commitment and the winning mentality we are looking for. If you are not playing well then you have to push a little bit but the mentality is good.

Journalist: Do you have any injury worries ahead of the match?

We have small problems and we will decide tomorrow about them.

Journalist: Will you play any of the players involved at the Olympics?

Babel can play but Mascherano and Lucas cannot play.
  [/td][/tr]
yes we need to improve soon ....
also we will miss Gerrard in the next 2 games tim ... bad timing
返回列表