返回列表 回復 發帖

Keegan-Toon Talks Ongoing

The Newcastle soap opera rumbled on as Tyneside awaited news on the position of manager Kevin Keegan.
A second day of uncertainty drew to a close with the club having confirmed a dialogue which began on Monday was continuing after intense speculation that the Magpies and their 57-year-old boss had parted company.
That, Newcastle insist, has not happened and having released a statement last night which was followed by another issued on Keegan's behalf by the League Managers' Association, they moved to assure fans talks were ongoing.
The statement read: "Newcastle United Football Club can confirm that discussions are ongoing between the Board and Kevin Keegan.
"Both the club and Kevin would like to reiterate that Kevin remains as manager.
"He has not resigned nor has he been sacked, as has been confirmed in respective statements made by Kevin and Newcastle United Football Club."
The drama over Keegan's situation was being played out as West Ham counterpart Alan Curbishley resigned from his post citing "a breach of trust and confidence" over "significant player decisions without involving me".
He, like Keegan, had also called on the services of the LMA, although no solution could be found at Upton Park.
Keegan may have some sympathy having expressed his misgivings over his club's summer recruitment policy, a matter which was discussed at meetings both on Monday and yesterday and which appears to have brought things to a head.
However, as the two sides looked for possible answers in the face of a furious backlash from the club's fans to rumours of the manager's impending departure, there was sympathy for the former England boss.
Portsmouth manager Harry Redknapp, who was a candidate for the job at St James' Park before Keegan was appointed, insisted he and the supporters did not deserve the current uncertainty.
He told Virgin Radio news reporter Adrian Hieatt at today's Soccer Aid launch: "I don't know where the problems have come from or what's gone on, but Kevin is a great football man and Newcastle is a great football club with unbelievable supporters.
"They don't deserve to have their club dragged through the mud as it is at the moment, so hopefully it can all get sorted out.
"I'm just following the story with everyone else at the moment."
Keegan's disquiet with the set-up instigated by owner Mike Ashley, under which executive director (football) Dennis Wise and his team are responsible for implementing transfer policy, is understood to be the root of the problem.
However, Redknapp believes that situation will become more common.
He said: "It's changed, and will change even more in years to come.
"I believe in years to come that managers will have less and less and less power, that players will be picked by owners.
"They will have their own people picking players and the manager will get on and coach the team and manage the team and he will be given the players.
"I think that's what you're going to see happening more and more.
"Even [Manchester City boss] Mark Hughes' situation with Robinho - Mark is a fantastic manager, but I'm sure he didn't really know Robinho was going to appear."
Should Keegan or the club ultimately decide that a parting of the ways is the only option, Newcastle would be faced with the task of recruiting their third manager in a little more than 15 months, and Redknapp knows how tough a task that could be.
He said: "Kevin is the only person who could appease the fans now. Who can replace Kevin Keegan in their eyes?
"The only person is Alan Shearer really, and whether Alan wants it, I don't think he does."
Redknapp's son Jamie, a former England team-mate of Shearer's, admits even the former Magpies striker would find the going tough.
Speaking at the same event, he said: "I honestly can't comment what Alan would do, but if he wants to get into football management, that would be the first club you'd expect him to go to.
"It's a big ask, especially when you have been such a legend of a footballer, to then go and be the manager.
"It's not always plain sailing. I think that's why so many players nowadays who have had good careers don't want to go into management, because they don't need the hassle almost."
返回列表