返回列表 回復 發帖

Premier League - What the managers said

The reaction from the dugouts after the opening day of Premier League action.
More Stories

Sunderland 0-1 Liverpool
Roy Keane: "I'm delighted with the performance - generally speaking I thought the players did very well. It's a fine line at this level and we saw what Torres is capable of. When we played Liverpool last year I was hopeful of a result, today I was confident - that's progress."
Rafa Benitez: "You could see the team was really focused. We want to concentrate on winning, and the best news for our supporters is to win games. In the first half, they were attacking; the second half, we were on top and attacking - and continued until the end. We had chances. Torres is a key player and he can change games. For the team, it's really important to have these sorts of players."
Arsenal 1-0 West Bromwich Albion
Arsene Wenger: "It's a first game of the season and we had a physical match on the Wednesday night and I was a little bit worried before that we would not be very sharp, but we started well and were in control and we just couldn't finish them off. You have that old story that you feel you probably deserved to be punished in the end - but I am pleased we did not let in a goal."
Tony Mowbray: "We could have had a good hiding and after four minutes, that was always going to be a possibility. But we worked very hard all over the pitch and as the game wore on we started posing a real threat and looked as if we could have scored a goal. If the goalkeeper hadn't pulled off some good saves and for a clearance off the line, we might have been sitting here at 1-1."
Everton 2-3 Blackburn Rovers
David Moyes: "Our defending at times was rubbish. We had experienced players, internationals, who were not at the races today. We gave away a daft free-kick for their winner, and even then Ryan Nelsen was offside when the ball came into the box. It was hard for the linesman to see that, but Nelsen had moved from an offside position to head against the bar."
Paul Ince: "I do not want to keep saying this, but nobody is going to be leaving the club. We want to keep our best players, be it Santa Cruz, Warnock or McCarthy and any one of a dozen players. Let's dispel all this. No-one is leaving the club, we have had a really good start in this game. We have won at Everton and not many teams do that apart from the top four. It was a great achievement."
Hull City 2-1 Fulham
Phil Brown: "The spirit of the football club was there for everybody to see. The fitness levels in the second half were incredible, as was the passion and the drive. The character was tremendous. Before the game we said to the players that Fulham didn't travel too well last season, and we tried to exploit their weaknesses."
Roy Hodgson: "It became a fight at both ends in the second half, and in those circumstances it was always possible a defensive error would settle the match, which is what happened. It's tough to come away without a result after the first half performance, but Hull were very motivated in the second half, they chased things down, and we made some mistakes as a result."
Middlesbrough 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur
Juande Ramos: "For the moment Berbatov is a Spurs player. We are happy with him, he is part of the Spurs squad and there is nothing to say about it, I don't have any comment to make on it. We actually opted for Giovani [dos Santos] because we thought that his speed would be something that would trouble Middlesbrough. However, as Middlesbrough tired in the game we thought it might be the right moment in the game to throw on Berbatov."
Gareth Southgate: "Spurs are a good side, they obviously had a couple of players in their team who haven't played in the Premier League before. We watched their pre-season games and we felt no-one had pressed them the way that we intended to and nobody had got at them in the way we intended to."
Bolton Wanderers 3-1 Stoke City
Gary Megson: "We made a lot of changes in the summer both on and off the field and you hope things go as planned. In fact we had such an exceptional week's training I said to my wife I had nothing to moan about. So for things to go like the did today, you have to be pleased because Stoke caused us a lot of problems."
Tony Pulis: "We were looking fine in the first 25 minutes but we dropped our heads after the first goal. The other two goals were disappointing. They came from set-pieces - were were naive in both situations. I think the scoreline is a bit harsh as one or two things did not go our way."
West Ham 2-1 Wigan Athletic
Alan Curbishley: "Obviously Dean [Ashton]'s got to be picked for England yet - but if he is and he's pain-free in the morning he will be available to play. We've just got to hope it's only cramp. With Craig Bellamy and Kieron Dyer still out it's the last thing we need from our point of view - to see Deano out as well."
Steve Bruce: "Arguably we should have got something out of it. Palacios was superb, the kid has got everything you want in a footballer and if he keeps playing like this he'll be a fantastic one. It was Arsene [Wenger] who recommended him. I was trying to sign Mathieu Flamini for Birmingham at the time and couldn't get him but Wenger said 'I've got this lad from Honduras on trial and he's worth a look'
GooD JoB....

Managers' Speech after match...
返回列表