返回列表 回復 發帖

Frustrated Hughes renews call for TV replays

Mark Hughes added his name to the growing list of disgruntledPremier League managers calling for the introduction of videotechnology after a debatable penalty played a key role in Manchester City's 2-1 defeat at Wigan.

Mark Hughes vents his spleen.

Vincent Kompany's close-range strike had cancelled out Antonio Valencia'sspectacular opening goal before Amr Zaki scored from the penalty spot at the JJBStadium.
ButHughes felt referee Steve Bennett was wrong to award the penalty afterWilson Palacios went to ground in spectacular style with minimalcontact from City defender Javier Garrido.
''Referees have dayswhen they don't perform as well as they should and that's true forplayers, managers, coaches and alike so we understand that,'' Hughessaid.
''But all we ask is that they get big decisions right. Ithink it [diving] is part and parcel of the game and the foreignplayers are a bit more adept at it than the British-based players.
''Theability to draw fouls in some places is seen as a skill so he'sobviously very skilful at that. I didn't used to fall down quite aseasy as that.
''On occasions referees get the incidentals wrongand sometimes you scratch your head, but what they have to get is thekey decisions right and the key decisions were not made correctly andthat had a direct impact on the result I felt.''Bolton manager Gary Megson had similar feelings after his side's defeatto Manchester United on Saturday when a soft penalty decision wentagainst the Trotters and allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to pave the way for a 2-0 win for United.''Goalline technology is something that has to be brought in because itis easily implemented'', added Hughes.''The means are there to do it now so why it has not been I have noidea. Video technology, or technology in other parts of the game, is adifferent subject and possibly will impact fundamentally more on thegame as we know it.
''Butcertainly for key moments, or key decisions, that have to be made whichcan directly change a game why not use the cameras? It's not as if itis like the old days when it was one camera on top of a gantry - thereare cameras everywhere so it can be done.''
Wigan boss Steve Bruce disagreed with his former Manchester United team-mate'sinterpretation of the incident and felt Bennett's decision was the correct one.
Hesaid: ''I know it was slightly exaggerated by Palacios but he has gotthe ball and then there has been contact from their player after. He'sgot out of the road and everyone is going to do that when you see aboot coming towards you.
''He made sure he was going to get outof the way of the challenge and that's where the exaggeration came butthere is contact there. If he just stands there he is going to getwhacked so he's not going to do that.''Mark Hughes added his name to the growing list of disgruntled PremierLeague managers calling for the introduction of video technology aftera debatable penalty played a key role in Manchester City's 2-1 defeat at Wigan.
Vincent Kompany's close-range strike had cancelled out Antonio Valencia'sspectacular opening goal before Amr Zaki scored from the penalty spot at the JJBStadium.
ButHughes felt referee Steve Bennett was wrong to award the penalty afterWilson Palacios went to ground in spectacular style with minimalcontact from City defender Javier Garrido.
''Referees have dayswhen they don't perform as well as they should and that's true forplayers, managers, coaches and alike so we understand that,'' Hughessaid.
''But all we ask is that they get big decisions right. Ithink it [diving] is part and parcel of the game and the foreignplayers are a bit more adept at it than the British-based players.
''Theability to draw fouls in some places is seen as a skill so he'sobviously very skilful at that. I didn't used to fall down quite aseasy as that.
''On occasions referees get the incidentals wrongand sometimes you scratch your head, but what they have to get is thekey decisions right and the key decisions were not made correctly andthat had a direct impact on the result I felt.''
Bolton managerGary Megson had similar feelings after his side's defeat to ManchesterUnited on Saturday when a soft penalty decision went against theTrotters and allowed Cristiano Ronaldo to pave the way for a 2-0 win for United.
''Goalline technology is something that has to be brought in because it is easily implemented'', added Hughes.
''Themeans are there to do it now so why it has not been I have no idea.Video technology, or technology in other parts of the game, is adifferent subject and possibly will impact fundamentally more on thegame as we know it.
''But certainly for key moments, or keydecisions, that have to be made which can directly change a game whynot use the cameras? It's not as if it is like the old days when it wasone camera on top of a gantry - there are cameras everywhere so it canbe done.''
Wigan boss Steve Bruce disagreed with his former Manchester United team-mate'sinterpretation of the incident and felt Bennett's decision was the correct one.
Hesaid: ''I know it was slightly exaggerated by Palacios but he has gotthe ball and then there has been contact from their player after. He'sgot out of the road and everyone is going to do that when you see aboot coming towards you.
''He made sure he was going to get outof the way of the challenge and that's where the exaggeration came butthere is contact there. If he just stands there he is going to getwhacked so he's not going to do that.''
返回列表