返回列表 回復 發帖

Borussia Dortmund defender Philipp Degen

Rafael Benitez is on the verge of making Borussia Dortmund defender Philipp Degen his first summer signing at Liverpool after persuading Anfield's warring co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to sanction his plans for reinforcements.

Switzerland international Degen, who can play on both sides of the back four, will complete a Bosman move at the end of the season. Benitez will now step up efforts to lure Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry, Athletic Bilbao centre-half Fernando Amorebieta and Wigan winger Antonio Valencia.

On the wishlist: Rafael Benitez is hoping to bring Philipp Degen, a Swiss international, to Liverpool
With the continuing uncertainty surrounding the future ownership of the club, doubts had emerged over Benitez's readiness to stay at Anfield next season.

However, after a "positive" meeting with Hicks this week which was, crucially, staged with Gillett's blessing, Benitez is confident that he will be free to pursue his leading targets with the backing of the estranged Americans.

Benitez said: "It was very positive. We spoke of targets and everybody now knows the names and how to progress, so it was positive.

"If you have a target, you need to speak with everyone about the price and how to progress. If everyone knows about it, it is much better.

advertisement"I have a responsibility as the manager. People talk about Hicks and Gillett, but we have two owners and a chief executive and a responsibility for improving the squad for next season. We needed to say to the owners, 'these are the targets and we think we can go in this way', and that was the purpose of the meeting."

Although Benitez invested more than £40 million in his squad last summer to secure Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun, Liverpool remain in the slipstream of Chelsea and Manchester United in terms of spending power.

And with Peter Crouch, Jermaine Pennant and John Arne Riise likely to attract bids from rival clubs this summer, Liverpool's net spending could be below the £20 million mark.

Benitez, who is also said to be interested in Blackburn's David Bentley, said: "I'm sure we won't need too much [money]. Our squad is much better now and we maybe need four or five players, but we will not need to spend big, big money.

"If you want to win the title, you must spend millions and millions. The key is maybe to sign the players that you need and the players that will make the squad stronger."

Last night, Riise spoke for the first time about his own goal against Chelsea on Tuesday. "What can I say? I am ashamed and disappointed. I decided to stoop and head the ball in the direction it came from. But it was a swerving cross, the ball was wet and it slid right off my forehead," he said.

"These things happen for defenders from time to time. I have been involved in tougher things in my life than this and I know that I will handle this in a good way."

Liverpool's 4 targets

Barry, Aston Villa £15m
There was a concern about his lack of pace but, at 27, he remains a key man for England and Villa, where he is captain.

Valencia, Wigan Athletic £8m
Ecuadorian who can play on either wing, and is also an option in the centre. The 22-year-old is on loan at Wigan from Villarreal.

Amorebieta, Athletic Bilbao £5m
Tough-tackling central defender, 22, with poor disciplinary record. Tipped as a future Spain international. If his side defeat Birmingham tomorrow, Rafa Benitez will become the Liverpool manager with the second-highest number of wins from his first 150 League games

Degen, Dortmund £0m
Swiss international, 25, available on a free. Favours right-back, but can play on the left or further up-field.

If his side defeat Birmingham tomorrow, Rafa Benitez will become the Liverpool manager with the second highest number of wins in his first 150 league games.

原來可能係佢
he is good??

i don't know him woh....
返回列表